Are you looking to buy your own yoga mat and don’t know where to start? There are so many different types to choose from that it can be hard to know which mat is best. Consider these top 5 qualities when purchasing your new yoga mat.
1. Traction – What style of yoga do you practice and what is your personal preference? A mat with traction is important but you also want to be comfortable when flowing through standing postures. Texture determines the traction and for some practices a rougher mat is ideal while other styles a smoother mat is preferred.
2. Eco-friendly – Eco-friendly mats are important for the environment and important for your health. Cheaper plastic mats are toxic and have a negative impact on the environment as well as our bodies. Look for companies that offer a variety of eco-friendly yoga mats made out of renewable resources and natural fibres.
3. Thickness – Thickness in a mat depends on your body type and the style of yoga you’re practicing. A thicker mat is ideal for students who practice yin yoga, restorative yoga, or have joint pain. A thinner mat is ideal for flow and power yoga styles with lots of standing and balancing postures. A thin mat is also great for yoga on the go!
4. Durability – You always want a high-quality mat that will last a long time. While cheap plastic mats do last a long time because they are made with synthetic materials, a high-quality more expensive mat is worth the investment and will last for years.
5. Sticky vs. Slippery – Safety first! A stickier mat is preferred as it ensures your alignment is correct while protecting you from injuries.
In your search for a new yoga mat I hope you find one that suits you, will last for many years, and is safe for you and our precious planet. Share your go-to yoga mat in the comments, would love to hear your faves!